Friday, April 8, 2011

Tea Roses Part I

 


A Visual Feast from Jocelen Janon
Bouquet_kauri_creek Kauri Creek Bouquet– the light rose is 'Baronne Henriette de Snoy', the other is most likely 'Archduc Joseph' photographed by Jocelen Janon.

When I saw this photo on Jocelen Janon’s Facebook page, it made my head spin with even more love for Tea Roses. The picture also reminded me of how much I look forward to studying the roses gathered each year at The Celebration of Old Roses. Eight-foot tables display collections from each rose family – Gallicas, Damasks, Albas, Centifolias, Mosses, Chinas, Portlands, Hybrid Perpetuals, Teas, and many more are poised to be passionately observed. It’s a unique opportunity to see the special characteristics particular to each group. It’s also a great time to compile your wish list.
The 2009 Celebration of Old Roses is on May 17, from 11:00 to 4:30 at the Community Center in El Cerrito, CA, at Moeser and Ashbury.
At the 2007 Celebration, I was newly infatuated with Tea roses, and had a wonderful time choosing the roses I wanted in my garden. Since my Teas are small, and I don't have that many photos, I asked Jocelen if he would like to share his Tea images and be this post's guest photographer. He generously agreed.
General_galieni02 'General Gailieni' photographed by Jocelen Janon.
Papa_gontier 'Papa Gontier' photographed by Jocelen Janon.
I particularly enjoy how Jocelen likes to photograph roses both in the garden and in the vase. His work is exquisitely represented on his website, Rosarosam, which is a vast treasury of roses, rose gardens, and beautifully illustrated articles about roses.
General_schablikine(2) 'General Schablikine' photographed by Jocelen Janon.
E_veyrat_hernanos 'E Veryat Hermanos' photographed by Jocelen Janon.
Jeannette_nicol 'Jeanette Nicol' photographed by Jocelen Janon.
Comtesse_de_labarthe 'Comtesse de Labarthe' photographed by Jocelen Janon.
Jocelen Janon was born in France, and has lived in New Zealand for the last six years. He has a fine arts degree and began his photography career with architecture and events, and now includes horticulture and food. He was a contributor to the recently published Australian book, ‘Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Climates.’
Thanks Jocelen !
   http://rosenotes.typepad.com/rose_notes/2009/05/studying-roses.html

No comments:

Post a Comment