Friday, April 8, 2011

Purchasing Roses in Pots

 

CELEBRATION OF OLD ROSES PART I
Hybrid-rugosa-belle-poitevine
People often ask where I’ve purchased many of my unusual roses. Some nurseries have extensive rose inventories, but special events also yield exciting rose bounty. Several of my favorite purchases, like 'Belle Poitvine' above, have been made at the Celebration of Old Roses, which takes place this year, on May 17, from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., in El Cerrito, California.
Rose-purchasing
I photographed the two roses, shown here, fresh out of my car on my return from the Celebration some years ago. The one on the left, and below, isa little unnamed Spinosissima. These roses, native to Scotland, areknown for their small, finely cut foliage. ‘Belle Poitvine’, at right,is a Hybrid Rugosa that fufills every category for “fabulous rose.” Asfar as I know, it has no faults.
Spinnossisma-scotch-rose
Don’t feel bad if you don’t live in California, similar events happenthroughout the world, it just might be in a different month. Newspapercalendars, in the gardening section, traditionally list rose societyevents, botanical garden festivities, university horticulturaldepartment events, and open gardens. Roses propagated by students androsarians are often sold as fund raisers.
Your Local Nursery
Roses-purchased-in-pots
Nurseries are fully stocked with roses anticipating big Mother’s Day revenue. Bare root roses have been potted up and programmed to bloom just for Mom. This is a good time to see some of the new rose introductions and also research bloom and shrub style.
Shown above are a few impulse purchases from one of my local nurseries that I couldn’t resist. Note the paper pots they're are in. If you score the pots and make sure they’re wet, they can go right into the ground with the rose.

Today’s post barely mentions the “Celebration“ there will be much more about it soon.    http://www.rosenotes.com/2009/04/purchasing-roses-in-pots.html

No comments:

Post a Comment