Friday, April 8, 2011

Celebration of Old Roses

El Cerrito show focuses on Old Roses

 

Tea roses on display.
Examples of Tea roses on display at the Celebration of Old Roses.

By Carolyn Parker

AREN'T YOUR ROSES absolutely gorgeous this year? Last year at this time, my roses had only just begun to bloom. This year, I’ve already removed enough spent blooms to fill our recycling bin! A year ago at my Mothers Day Open Garden, the roses were at their peak and entertaining a thousand visitors. With this year’s weather pattern, on Mother’s Day, my roses will be way past their prime.
Since book projects have me tethered to computer and camera, it’s just as well that I’ve decided to wait until next Mothers Day to open our garden again.
I’d like to suggest another rose adventure. This one occurs annually–the Sunday after Mother’s Day–it’s The Celebration of Old Roses at the El Cerrito Community Center. There is no other event like it in the world.
I went to my first Celebration on May 21, 1989–and yes–I can say it changed my life. When a rose lover finds herself awash in beauty and fragrance, surrounded by rose royalty–the very ancestors that lent their gorgeous genes to the creation of innumerable progeny–how could she not be inspired? I was by myself and overwhelming beauty had me laughing out loud. I couldn’t contain the joy.
California’s temperate climate has lured many dedicated rose lovers into acquiring vast collections of hard-to-come-by historical roses. And once a year, they come together in El Cerrito to share their glorious bounty. Display tables hold collections from each rose family. Gallicas, Damasks, Albas, Centifolias, Mosses, Chinas, Portlands, Hybrid Perpetuals, Teas, and many more are poised to be passionately observed. It’s a unique opportunity to see the special characteristics particular to each group.
Last year, I was enamored by Tea roses thanks to MADAME ANTOINE RÉBÉ. She grows in the red section of my garden. As she matured, I fell in love with her, wanted more Teas, and especially wanted to see many Teas together. Standing in front of the Tea rose display at the Celebration, I received an invaluable education. When reading about Teas, they’re often described as tea-scented and tea-colored. I can’t comment on a tea scent, although MME RÉBÉ is very fragrant. The colors, however, were a revelation. In observing at least thirty specimens the petals looked as if they were made of red, apricot, pink, yellow, and ivory silk that had been dipped in tea. The resulting dyes are some of the most chic and sophisticated colors. I now wish I had a section of my garden devoted solely to Tea roses.

Vintage Gardens Catalog

People often ask me where I buy my roses, because they’ve found that special roses they want are hard to find. I enjoy telling them that I’ve purchased many from vendors at the Celebration. One of my favorite vendors, Vintage Gardens, is always there. They also sell a must-have rose catalogue that experts say is the best book on roses available, for only $20.00. Over three thousand roses are described and small drawings of the roses next to human figures indicate size and growth habit. With a Vintage catalogue in hand, you can look up roses on display, to find whether they’ll work in your garden.
What’s old is new, is a phrase circulating in the nursery industry these days. This is especially true in the world of roses. Many old-fashioned roses are disease free and have structures so exquisite, they can easily take the place of more traditional garden shrubs. Many other matchless characteristics, from fragrance and decorative sepals, to fascinating leaf shapes, beg gardeners to take a look and get to know our world’s rich rose heritage.
If you have an unknown rose in your garden, bring it for identification. Like at the Antiques Road Show, your rose will receive an evaluation by experts.
I’ve mentioned rose vendors; there will be perennial and bulb vendors as well. Remember when I mentioned, in last month’s column how species geraniums are wonderful companions to roses? Robin Parer will be there with specimens from her geranium nursery. You’ll want to start a collection. Craftsmen also sell rose related items, from painted porcelain to clothing. I’ll be there selling books and taking orders for my 2008 roses calendar. I hope to see you!    http://www.rosesfromatoz.com/celebration-of-old-roses.html

No comments:

Post a Comment